Saturday 23 April 2016

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 01 - Research

What makes a banknote or a coin money?
Before starting my design I want to find out what makes money, money. Is it the traditional values that each banknote holds? Or is it the design within the banknote that makes it traditional and unique to each country. 

Looking at existing custom bank notes. What makes each banknote appealing to me and why have I chosen these banknotes. Taking into consideration that each banknote is the United State of America and each design is patriotic in a unique way. 


The use of the stars to represent a patriotic feel towards the banknote. The colours are vibrant and warm almost like the rise of the sun with the use of lines going across to outline the number 2. The type is very minimal and sleek and matches the simplicity of the design.
Throughout these two designs, there is a lot of patriotism with the use of mountains being pictured as black and white. The border, on the other hand, uses a subtle blue to keep the bank note focusing on the centre of the image whilst the other information (Treasury and Secretary) is placed within the border. 
The design shares similar aspects to the one above as they are the front and back designs of the banknote. Using a black and white image however, using the subtle border across the page instead. The letter 1 is also now worded 'one' with a huge patriotic stamp like design on the right. 
Again, throughout the rest of the banknotes, each design has a patriotic image that uses a subtle warm colour with quirky (reminds me of western) typeface that helps portray it to be an American banknote. This is something that I can take forward onto my design. Using patriot designs that could help portray the country that I am looking at and make a banknote that would be personal.





After looking at Behance and Pinterest for various designs this was one that caught my eye. Although I don't particularly think it would work as a bank note, I am intrigued by the geometric shapes and how everything is visible  within the bank note. The number is very easily read although the 'dollars' typography could have been more visible and easily legible. What I could take from this design is that it has an ancient feeling about it. It reminds me more of an Egyptian bank note than an American one. I like the geometric shapes within however, I don't believe this bank note could ever actually be used unless it was to be worked on further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment