Wednesday 27 April 2016

OUGD505 - Studio brief 01 - Henna research



I decided to do some research into henna designs. You can tell it takes a very steady hand to apply the henna correctly. The designs themselves are very beautiful, complex and precise. You can see how any big mistake is going to be easily visible. I looked at Paayal Makdani's cousin on Instagram who has been very influential in helping me create some designs of my own. 

Henna tattoos are created in a number of shapes and symbols, and many women prefer henna flower designs for the feminine, delicate look of the tattoos. For my banknote I am creating a feminine banknote to promote gender equality in countries such as the United Arab Emirates who do not see woman as equal to men.

What I love about each henna is that each design has its own meaning. For instance, a peacock is a sign of fertility as well as love and good fortune. What I like about henna is that it tells a story much like a tattoo. Henna is something that is normally seen on women and I believe this would be perfect to use within my banknote designs as its directed towards woman and it shows a feminine and delicate touch.

Henna is used primarily as a body-colouring agent for aesthetic purposes, that we have known today. But before, henna is not solely used as a substitute to the more permanent tattoo ink. Back then, henna was used in different purposes including adornment for special cultural occasions, cure various skin diseases, and even treat several health problems with common farm animals and household pets.

Images of flowers buds are an indication of the new life and a sign that love with flourish. 
The peacock is a sign of fertility as well as love and good fortune.  

Images of henna that I found interesting and creative.










No comments:

Post a Comment