Saturday 30 April 2016

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 01 - Development

 I started of with simple layout experiment. I decided to get some random Arabic writing just to see in what position the text would lay best. I also decided to choose United Arab Emirates as it is known that woman do not have the same rights as men would. 

I decided to go with the typeface KacstBook medium as it has a nice curve on the top that relates Arabic writing as it is very quirky and curly. I also think it suits the theme that I am going for with a san serif typeface. 

 For this design I decided to use one of the patterns that I traced over within my initial ideas and try to bring forward something that would represent woman. Therefore, I decided to use henna designs as they are mostly seen on women and would make this banknote more directed towards women and showing equality. 
The colour choice was to represent woman. I didn't want to choose an obvious pink that girls would choose but a more darker expressive pink to represent both girls and women. For both of these designs, I played around with the layout and the positioning. 
 I wanted to create something that could show equality within my designs. I decided to duplicate the design and make the design on the right half with a fill colour whilst having the background colour stroke on and vise versa for the other side. This shows two different side and transfers the message of equality. 

 I then decided to simplify my designs by using an iconic image of a mosque to represent the country. However, I didn't get an understanding of gender equality from this. It only told me more about the country. I wanted to create something iconic as you always see something iconic on banknotes. 
I then decided to bring the two together. By moving the mosque and henna design to opposite corners they then represent the country and the campaign for gender equality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment