Friday 29 April 2016

OUGD505 - Studio Brief 01 - Initial Ideas

I retraced some henna designs that consisted of various patterns to which I then scanned them into illustrator and will be using them further in my development. Henna is now part of everyday lives in a lot of places and this is something that is mainly seen on women. Therefore, I wanted to create something symbolic that would represent woman within my banknote. Many people are very curious about henna designs and their meanings and I think this could potentially make my banknote stand out.  Flowers within henna designs are meant to mean joy and happiness. I am using the happiness from these designs to celebrate gender equality through the banknote. A flower means grace, sensuality, purity, creativity but especially femininity. This is a perfect way to address something feminine through designs that bring joy and happiness. 

The next design that I traced was a lot more detailed and precise. I wanted a variation of simplistic designs as well as ones that are more precise. A lot of henna designs are very detailed and are very free flowing. A lot of henna designs are free flowing, have scattered patterns and are ideas for all occasions. The design is scattered with patterns and consists of vines and dots resulting in a very discreet look. This makes it both captivating, eye-catching and fabulous to look at. 
After tracing various henna designs I decided to go to the lightbox and use these patterns within my own banknote designs. What I liked most about these initial ideas was that they looked like something that I have never seen. I haven't seen henna mixed with banknotes before as well as a banknote being used towards a campaign for gender equality. 

These banknotes are very precise but still consist of white space to let the other detail such as the currency number and the Arabic writing that is currently placed with lines. The 3 designs on the left don't have that something iconic like past banknotes have. Therefore, I need to think of creating something that could potentially be iconic enough to represent that country. 



After looking at my previous research I noticed that I needed something iconic. Therefore, I decided to do the outline of a mosque that would represent that country. By using an iconic image of a mosque from the United Arab Emeritites I have linked it back to that country. However, it lost its feminine touch by placing an outline of a mosque across the bank note.  

The two remaining ideas consist of more detailed designs as well as better positioning of the text. Although I am still unsure about the size of the henna designs these designs are very intricate and inform more about henna designs. 

Here is the first layout draft of my banknote. It is simple with two colours that are both complementing one another. The gold gives more wealthy, feminine and original ideas whilst the black represented the henna designs. Although I do like the two colours used against each other. I think it needs to be more easily represented as gender equality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment