Tuesday 4 November 2014

Research 'peaceful' (OUGD403)

Before drawing up my ideas I decided to look more into the random generated word that I was given; Peaceful.
I initially decided to look at the work peaceful which means “free from disturbance”, “Not involving war or violence”.
I instantly went to google and typed in very bluntly ‘peaceful’ to see what people’s generalized view of peaceful was.



A lot of the research that I found was to do with nature and lakes. I do agree that lakes and nature are seen as peaceful but I wanted to go a little more outside of the generalised view.

I then started to look at type and how it could be seen as peaceful. I then started to look at Si Scott’s work which in my opinion is very detailed and intricate consisting of a lot of swirls and loops therefore consists of a peaceful typeface.



However, after looking more into typography and calligraphy I found Seb Lester. Seb Lester is a graphic designer who uses calligraphy to send across a message. One that caught my eye was the one below which consists of 3 words Love,Gods and Heaven which are all seen in a peaceful manner.

  

And then I found this image, which consists of similar calligraphy to present a not so nice word. ‘bastard’. I want to create a similar typeface in a way that it would be seen as peaceful even with a swearword written across.  


No comments:

Post a Comment