Wednesday 2 March 2016

OUGD503 - Monotype - Why this brief?

This brief is one that is quite personal to me because it's using typography and design to have an impact on the world. This is the sort of art that I want to be producing in years to come as it has a purpose and a reason. This brief is a big challenge because we have to pick the campaign ourselves. 

The campaign I have chosen is 'The Water Project'. It is a big water campaign that aims to bring safe and reliable water as well as changing people's everyday life. A gift of $34 will change a life. I want to show the importance of donating and getting across how serious this is becoming. 

A few weeks ago I watched a documentary on David Beckham - For the love of the game. This was a documentary where he visits 7 different continents around the world and plays football in each country. The documentary itself was very touching and shows how much Unicef has done for the people who are not living in as much luxury as we might. It really hit a spot to watch a documentary about children and how they eat and how they are treated whilst we complain about the smallest littlest things that really don't matter. Here are everyday quotes from the documentary and the Unicef official website. 

"663 Million people do not have access to safe, clean water"
"2.4 billion people live without proper sanitation"
"Everyday, 1000 children die from diseases caused by unsafe water or inadequate sanitation." 
"Children under 5 do not get nutritious food.  They need to grow up healthy and strong but can't afford it so they buy Coca-Cola to fill themselves up instead"

I decided to go against designing for Unicef as it is a massive campaign already. I wanted to target a less known campaign that could use design to help promote it further. The Water Project is fairly neat and fairly easy to understand but it's not very interactive with the viewer and I felt like I wasn't getting enough from the home page. I intend to design a desktop website, Mobile website and many more accessories. I am really looking forward to designing for The Water Project. I was really happy to see a brief that had so much potential in changing for better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment