Thursday 7 January 2016

OUGD504 Studio Brief 04 - Evaluation

For Studio brief 04, I had to choose an artist and create a campaign that would promote their new upcoming album. I decided to choose Skepta as he is an artist that is renown around the UK and has a very basic one page website currently. At first I created various wireframes and then started to work my way up towards the website. When Only (who briefed us) came back for our final crits I was told that I had a lot of potential in website design and Matthew Tweddle was very satisfied with how I presented my wireframes. This was quite a surprise for me as I am very harsh when it comes to judging my own work as I always want to create the best of my ability.

What I enjoyed about the brief was that we could develop our own websites for these artists. We had the freedom to design our own campaign for their new upcoming albums. Website design is something that I have always been welcome to try but I always thought you had to use coding. This is something that I have learn from the brief and I believe I came up with a good campaign to promote Skepta’s new album. I also enjoyed learning about the artist and understanding what the client might want within their website. Therefore, I created a website that would be specific for Skepta as he has a certain monochrome feel about him and his music videos.

 What I found difficult was creating the tour dates page.  This is something that I spent hours on and really struggled with. I wanted to keep the tour dates page simple so its easy to use but when I created something that was simple it didn’t necessarily match the theme of the rest of the album. Another thing that I found difficult was creating a giff for my front page as it is something that I haven’t tried before. It also used photoshop which is something that I hope to get better at during the year.

If I could go back and change something I would try make the website more social media based. Social media is currently massive and uprising. ‘As of September 2014, 71% of online adults use Facebook’. I would try to use more hashtags within my designs so that people would get this new website trending on social medias. I wish I could learn some coding to create things that would be unique and more interactive for the client. There are currently 600 million websites online and as a graphic designer you have to offer something that those 600 million websites don’t have which I believe is possible.


To conclude, I am satisfied with my final outcome as I have created a website for an artist that is renown around the UK as well as getting praised by Only’s Matthew Tweddle. I am very open minded about trying new website designs and would love to speak to Only to possibly get an internship during the summer. If I could go back to my website I would definitely add more hashtags to get the website trending.

No comments:

Post a Comment