Saturday 9 January 2016

OUGD503 - Secret 7 - Album research

Avenged Sevenfold 
Designers have a role to set visuals to promote their music. Avenged Sevenfold are Rock artists and you can visually tell in this album cover. By using a dark dim black it exaggerates the skull and the wings to make it look alarming and chilling. The simplicity of the design makes you curious of who these artists are. After listening to Avenged Sevenfold you can instantly relate back to the album cover and why it was designed with such purpose. The theme of the album is expressive in the way that it is crude and evil in a sense. I personally really like how minimalistic it is. 
Green Day
The use of the hand bleeding mixed with a heart grenade really stands out for me. The visuals again make it seem very RocknRoll with the use of a heart being used as a grenade. The words 'american idiot' are also red which matches the red heart shaped grenade. This feels to me as if the colour relates back to the grenade saying that the person holding the grenade is an American idiot. I also like the simplicity of the three main colours black on white with red working together to create a recognisable album cover. 
Nicki Minaj
The use of a strong pink paint of some sort is being used as a way to print what I presume is Nicki Minaj's fingerprints. This album makes it more personal to Nicki Minaj as it uses her fingerprint as the main focusing point. At first I was shocked to find out this was Nicki Minaj's album as her reputation has very mixed media. Her reputation is normally focusing on her backside therefore its the complete opposite of Minaj's usual aesthetic. I also like the use of her album name 'the pinkprint' which uses a strong vibrant pink with the use of her fingerprints. 
The Academy's
Although I am not very aware of 'The Academy's' and their music I really like how the album cover tells a story. After researching into their songs the song title 'Almost here' talks about how he has "worked in the daylight feeding fashion to housewives"this is the only thing that I can relate back to the album cover. 
What I personally like about the album cover is that it is very vibrant and the trees and the sunshine contrast each other very well here. The album feels warm and welcoming. The sun itself is exaggerated as it uses circles to make the sun look more quirky. I like how the sun uses the colour green with just a very subtle orange to demonstrate the sunrise. 
The XX
This is one of my favourite album covers because of the simplicity and how easily recognisable it is. A huge bold X right in the centre of the album makes me question why only one X and not two X's. But I personally like controversial album covers because it makes you talk more about the design of the work. I myself love monochrome colours and designs hence why I would say this is my favourite album. It also explains a lot about the simplicity of the music which is very condensed. 
The Used 
The album is showing the death of love. The heart represents love and the heart is being hung; therefore it is the death of love. This album cover reminds me of the film 'The Conjurting' which also uses a tree and a rope to show that it is a horror movie. I also like that the typeface looks hand rendered and is also very exaggerated. The background colour is very dim and shady and matches the 'death of love' story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment