Thursday 7 January 2016

OUGD504 Studio Brief 02 - Evaluation

For studio brief 02, I had to find a Kickstarter project that I could either rebrand their logo or create a new logo. I decided to choose an electronic ‘wheel’ that works like a skateboard but on one wheel instead. We had the option of trying to get in contact with the Kickstarter client however, sadly Onewheel didn’t respond back to me. Since Onewheel already have a branding I presume they didn’t want a rebranding. The product is meant to be fun, enjoyable and entertaining and the logo seemed a bit dull and boring and wasn’t easy to understand. This brief has shown to me how much I can get done under a week. Although logo design is a strong factor in me this is definitely a task that I struggled with at first but got in the end.

What I enjoyed the most about this project was looking into the current logo and making my own version of it. When I showed this logo to the crit group I had a lot of positive comments coming out. I also showed this to a professional graphic designer in London who I met and she (Bonnie Kate) said “if I made that logo I would be very proud of it and would put it on her website.” This gave me a lot of confidence and could potentially influence what I do in the foreseeable future. I also enjoyed researching into existing logos as logo design is something that I think is a strength of mine.

I found looking for the Kickstarter was my hardest challenge. As a graphic designer I am used to getting work from clients and just starting them. When I have the opportunity to choose who I design for, I struggle because I don’t like getting a choice. When I can choose what I want I’m very particular and I wont stop searching until I’m satisfied with what I have given. Therefore, I would rather a client gave me something then for me to choose.

What I could improve in for the next brief is to be more decisive. I can sometimes take a few days to just choose something that I want to design. I also felt like I had to create perfect work in order to get good grades and now I know this isn’t a case. I should be more open minded to trying new techniques and methods. I feel that if I try something new and it doesn’t work it will affect my grades when actually it is just as important to fail as it is to be successful.


To conclude, I am thrilled with my final outcome for my logo. It is something that received a lot of praise and this definitely gave me a booster in the right direction. I have created numerous amount of logos for my friends and family and now I am creating it for existing brands and clients which is very pleasing to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment