Thursday 1 October 2015

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 01 - Initial development

My initial idea generation began with selecting the folding technique that I wanted to take forward. By creating a net graph of a pentagon I have added a selection of tabs around the centre area. These tabs will each have an illustration above each annotation. Initially, the idea of the tabs grabbed my attention, however, during the process of mockups, I noticed that tabs overlapped. The idea of tabs overlapping one another shows the importance behind completing one tab before moving on. My intent was to send a message that each tab can't be opened until the previous step is complete. This project is aimed at designers to make them more aware of the steps. 


My first step was to set up the net graph in a sensible order and make sure that everything works together. I printed this design and made sure that each tab was equal and made sense to someone who picked up this leaflet. My initial idea was for each tab to be clearly seen however, after experimenting with the tabs I preferred the version which has each tab running over each other. 


I next filled each tab with an icon that would represent the step. After playing around with the icons and finishing each one I decided to ask a few people around my table their opinions on my icons. In their honesty, they said that it wasn't consistent enough and that the colours don't work well together. I personally wasn't too impressed with my ideas and decided to go back a step. 


I decided to redo my icon and make them simpler and easier to understand. I truly respect the saying 'less is more'. I want to change the two colours that I use within this brief as I believe that a more vibrant stock paper would make the design more engaging and successful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment